Every parent wants their baby to get the best night’s sleep possible, especially since that means a restful night for the baby AND for the parent(s). To make sure the baby sleeps as well as possible, you’ll need to establish a relaxing routine, which you can read all about in our article on the science of baby sleep. You’ll also need the best baby pajamas to get them cozy for the night, full of Z’s and little to no counting sheep. Here’s our list of things to consider when looking for the perfect set of baby pajamas for a good night’s sleep:
Material is a key factor to consider to ensure you’re providing only the perfect sleepwear for your little one. Firstly, you need to find a soft, comfortable and breathable material, that won’t cause any irritations to their sensitive skin. Secondly, we recommend 100% natural materials, such as cotton and different cotton subtypes such as Pima cotton. Try to avoid synthetics as they might cause your little bundle of joy’s skin to be itchy and irritated.
Out of all materials out there, organic cotton is by far the best option. These are the benefits of organic cotton pajamas for babies.
- free of harmful chemicals
- soft to the touch
- airy and breathable
- hypo allergenic
- absorbs moisture
Safety is also one of the most important qualities to look for in a pajama.
Firstly, mind the fit and the cut of sleepwear. Try to avoid pajamas that are too loose and those with hoods or strings, as these can be a choking hazard. The perfect baby sleepwear should fit snugly to the baby’s body, but also shouldn’t be too tight to allow for some movement. The baby should be able to move their tiny legs and arms around freely, so don’t forget to keep increasing the size of their pajamas as they grow bigger.
Secondly, pay attention to the chemicals pajamas are treated with. Most of the quality baby sleepwear options these days aren’t treated with flame retardants because such chemicals can be very harmful to your baby. Instead, you can choose the best pajamas for your baby by making sure they fit snugly and are free of toxic chemicals. Don’t be scared off by the yellow tags warning about the flammability of pajamas - as long as they fit snugly they are safe.
As parents, one of the main concerns on our minds at all times is ‘is our baby comfortable right now?’. Since being too cold or too hot wouldn’t allow for a good night’s sleep - temperature is something that matters. You can learn more about this in one of our other blogs about dressing your baby up in any season. One simple tip we mention is to dress your baby with one extra layer than you would dress yourself in that moment. Just like you, your baby wants to be comfortable. Our 100% all natural Pima Pajamas lend themselves to just that.
Easy access to your baby's diaper is another important factor to consider when buying the perfect baby pajamas. To be able to change a nappy quickly, especially in the middle of the night, you need to be able to easily open and close the bottom of the pajamas. The baby pajamas market is full of options to do so - with buttons, zippers, magnets etc. You just need to find out what works for you! Most parents prefer zipper pajamas since they’re the easiest to work with in the dark.
The age of your baby is an important factor when looking for the best baby pajamas. And we don’t mean just sizing up their sleepwear in time ― you should also pay attention to the type of pajamas they should be wearing at different stages:
For babies up to 6 months, you should consider onesies/footies and sleepsacks. Sleepsacks will cover your baby entirely so you won’t have a need for a blanket which is the safest option and also keeps them covered throughout the night. If you choose footie sleepers, choose the one that will help you change diapers the fastest.
For babies who are just learning to walk, the best pajamas will be the footless sleepers or onesies. These will allow them to walk barefoot, so they’ll be more stable while standing than in footed onesies or socks.
Baby Pajama Types
As with children's clothes, you have lots of options when it comes to choosing the perfect pajamas for your baby. The type of pajamas you choose, despite the factors listed above, that you need to pay attention to simply depends on your preferences and your baby's priorities.
Here are the most popular pajama types to consider, when you’re in search of that perfect pair of baby pajamas:
- Onesies: One-piece pajamas that are the perfect baby pajamas for warmer days and are still great for quick diaper changes. They button between your baby's legs and leave them uncovered. They come in short and long sleeves.
- Sleepsacks: One-piece warm cover-all that help keep your baby warm on cold nights over their regular sleepwear. They offer a great alternative to covering your baby with a blanket, and it keeps the baby's mid-section and legs completely covered, but also allows for plenty of room to safely move and stretch.
- Footie Rompers: The best baby pajamas if you want to dress your baby’s whole body. And as the name suggests, footies will also cover your baby’s feet, so you won’t have to worry about extra socks. Footie rompers will especially come in handy in cold weather as it covers your baby completely. They often open and close along the inner seam for easy changing.
- Footless Rompers: Full-body pajamas just like footie rompers, but just as the name suggests they leave the baby’s feet uncovered. On colder days, you can always add some booties or socks to keep them warm.
- Two Piece Pajamas: The perfect baby pajamas for little ones above 6-12 months old. We believe pajamas are an investment. They are used every night and you only need a few pairs to keep them in rotation. The more comfy the better night sleep!
Choosing baby pajamas for your baby also means the difference between a good night's sleep and a restless night's sleep. For you, as well as your baby. Now that you know a little more about baby sleepwear, you can shop with confidence and select the best baby pajamas that will be comfortable and safe for your little one as well as yourself.
We know you’ll be able to find the best pajamas for your baby. Happy shopping!